Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Piano Is Like A Mistress by Rebel

When I was eighteen I wanted to be a concert pianist.
Once I began my studies at the University, my instructor
told me that if I wanted to excel I would treat the piano
as My Mistress. Being so young, never having been
in a relationship, let alone one with a Mistress,
I nodded my head. She went on to explain what that meant,
but I could not relate. Eventually, I tired of the piano
not willing to devote enough time and energy to it.
But I never forgot the metaphor and am only now
beginning to understand what it means:
A piano is like a Mistress.
When you are with her she requires full attention and devotion.
She must be tuned lovingly or she will yell at you off key.
She requires you to be exact with a delicate but firm touch.
It is not enough to run your hands over her, you must
put feeling into it. You have to work to bring the melody
out and sustain it. Yet provide the accompaniment
and do it in harmony. The notes are written on the page,
just as precise as the instructions of a Mistress are.
She tells you how fast, how hard, how loud,
but it is just notes on a page until you do the work.
And when you get it right,
when you get it right,
you are transported beyond the piano,
beyond just you and her, you create music.
Music that lifts the soul, sustains it, building
through trills, and crescendo’s. Faster and faster,
louder and louder, running your fingers up and down,
moving the pedals, striking the keys, tickling the ivory,
until finally, finally you are in heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment