Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bragging Rights - Raising A Strong Daughter by Lady Danika


Bragging Rights - Raising a Strong Daughter

by Danika Stonesoul

I am a powerful woman. Yet sometimes, I worry.  Am I good enough?  Am I strong enough? Am I doing things "right?" Especially when it comes to the most important job I have... raising my daughter.

And so this week when my 12 year old daughter informed me that her 6th grade English class had to give "keynote speeches" on a subject of their choice for their culminating project I listened.

We were talking about this and she told me it had to be at least 20 slides long and she had to "dress nice" and I asked her what her topic was. She said, "Oh, Mom. Nothing major. I'm doing the influence of Greek Gods on modern American Society."

I stoped a minute and I thought, wow they've really stepped it up at our local school. "What are the other kids doing?" I ask. She shruged. "Cooler stuff than me. Someone is doing tarantulas and someone else is doing jellyfish. I'm just boring. But I like the Greek Gods a lot."

What I loved best was that it didn't even cross her mind to stoop to the norm. She has no idea how unique her thought process is and no desire to change it or become "less" in order to fit in with the other kids.

I stopped, gave her a hug and yes, it did cross my mind that... "I'm doing something right! Now.... to take her shopping for her first pair of thigh high boots..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment