Saturday, May 12, 2012

How People Can Change by Erique


How People Can Change

Confession

It is often said that it only takes a moment to create a reputation, but years to change one.  After all perception is reality, and once a person is perceived in a certain way then all of that person’s future actions are viewed through that pre-existing lens.  Prejudgments and prejudices die hard.

At the same time, one’s current behavior reflects and is influenced by the sum of one’s past experiences and environment.   The socially awkward geeky youth, may as an adult feel more than the ordinary person the need for social acceptance.  That desire for being recognized may be an unconscious part of that person’s make up.

At a minimum, then, it is hard for a person to not only change, but also for that change to be perceived correctly by others.  I would like to hope that both are possible.

In order to change, one must be self-aware, be conscious, of the things that cause one to behave in certain ways.  Knowing the things that motivate, allows one to consciously change one’s behavior, assuming change is desired.

As for me, I have seen how my past behaviors have affected others and have been self destructive to relationships that I have actively wanted.  Knowing this, I’ve tried to eradicate the behaviors that caused the problems:  excessive flirting and trying too hard to be liked.

I think it is working.  Sometimes people do change their bloody songs   I have a wonderful Mistress and we have settled into the rhythms of a good D/s relationship.  I couldn’t be happier.

Yet, I wonder how that is perceived.  Time will tell.


0 comments:

Post a Comment