Saturday, March 17, 2012

Augeson's Assignment

Auggie was a gift to me from Cat after the last auction, he didn't suit her, and offered him to me to help with a photography project.  After completing the picture, I asked him to make me a story about it, just a short vignette.  So the assignments was "Tell me what is happening here.  Who are these people, why are they here?" 


Panting, he gets back up on his feet and begins to cautiously move forward, persistently checking over his shoulder. "I wonder if she's still after me..." as the time passes his mind and body grow weak, being left with only two decisions.. do I keep walking? Or do I rest? Against his better judgment he finds a comfortable spot to post up for a few hours. "Here's a nice spot he tells himself" As he goes to sit down he hears something in the distance. Is it paranoia? Am I hearing things? Millions of possibilities begin to flood through my mind, my heart starts thumping. "Should I run!?!? Should I hide!?!?" As I slowly get to my feet, taking baby steps in the opposite direction, I start to hear the brush again, louder... closer ... "this is it" I tell myself.. if I run, she will catch me.. if I hide.. she will catch me. I tell myself I will not go back, I will fight! but another part of me is saying that I've already been down this road, and had my ass handed to me. Seconds go by "I need to make a decision quickly" I tell myself. I hear her voice, yelling, barking commands. She knows I'm here. I begin to break down. Just the sound of her voice instantly strips all my self confidence away, I begin to panic, each second she gets closer. I hear another crunch of a branch and instantly I stand up, running for the water. I tell myself "If I can make it to the water I might have a better chance!" Sprinting towards the water, my foot catches a branch and I tumble down a hill, hitting every rock on the way down. As I open my eyes there she is, towering over me, stick in her hand, war written all over her face. She looks just about as worn down as me! Why does she keep chasing me?! Why doesn't she give up?! I open my mouth to speak, but can't get the words out. She looks at me with confusion and disappointment and asks me if I'm alright to walk. "I look at her strangely and begin to climb to my knees" She takes a step back, unsure of my next move, hell I don't even know what I'm going to do next. As I begin to climb from my knees to my feet she stops me and whacks me across the back with the large stick, instantly falling to my knees again. I begin to tremble, curling up in the foetal position "Please stop! He whispers" unsure if its best just to keep his mouth shut.

  She stops, and looks at him. "Boy if you ever run off on me again I will kill you" I see hesitation in her jaw line. Oddly this gives me comfort. She tells me to get on my feet and begins to pace herself back towards land, climbing up the huge hill. Looking over her shoulder, her eyes meet mine. She doesn't need to say anything. I start to follow her up the hill, steadily making my way up the same hill I just fell down. As I finally near the top of the hill I see her kneeling off in the distance, obviously waiting for me. She motions for me to walk ahead of her and we begin our long journey home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment