Sunday, January 12, 2014

Kaleidoscope: Service Sub Heaven, Service Sub Hell by Doc

“Stand up!  Kneel down!”
Voices in his head
“Put it in the laundry.  Why are you doing that?”
Yes, Miss.  Right away ma’am.

Now a post.  Now several paragraphs – interrupted.
A nap.  Or am I dreaming? Awake,  I’m sure now!
Into Second Life; zipping out again.
Assigned missions

Sliding into FetLife, prompted by an email.
Task done.  I answered.
Where is that yellow pad with all my assignments?
Listed as they came in.

I don’t want to disappoint.  I make them angry when I forget.
Good will only carries so far.
“What have you done for me lately?”
I’m sorry, Miss.  I’m not excusing it, Miss.  I’m simply explaining, Miss.

She disappears.  Another comes.  Softly and comforting
Until she runs off to party.  Leaving me kneeling on a cold stone patio.
Alone.
I log off to vacuum.

Last night I fell asleep at 10 – the second time.
I don’t remember the first, only that I woke at nine.
What happened at 3 a.m.?  Hmmmm.
I woke before the sun.  And now it seems like midday, though it’s only nine.

Time zones.
Good morning, Miss.  “It’s afternoon!  Where are you at?”
I check to see if the sun is out.  First out the window, then in SL.
How did I get back here?  My memory….
I almost forgot.  She told me to edge.  I promised I would.
And never, never go over the edge.
“No, Miss!”
I perform as ordered.  I ache with longing.  In my mind I hear her chuckling.

My coffee pot beckons.  I yearn for the sound of the grinder, the warm glow of the burners.
The timer ticking off the 5-1/2 minutes it takes to disgorge nine cups.
The 60 seconds to heat the milk in the microwave.
Everything is measured and in order.

Except my life.
My life is that of a frog, hopping from lily pad to lily pad .  Over deep green waters.
Under a bright blue sky.
The sun is invisible; I am bathed in light.

0 comments:

Post a Comment