Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Students by Anonymous

There is more than learning for high school students. Definitely more. I should know, I tutor them.
My job is to lead them, to not let their focus swift away from having fun while learning. I can lead them, because I observe.

One group I tutor is now a couple, Severine and Fabio. They started up in the same group, because they struggled in the same topic.

While Severine is doing a great job with alot of structure and continuous work without mistakes, Fabio dares more. He is lazy, so he always is looking for easier way to learn a topic. Severine is not lazy. She is very engaged in the work, she wants to have good results. Her steady, very grounded way brings her steady, good results. But not more. Fabio on the other hand is wild, always looking for other ways, exploring, not frightened to make mistakes. She often explains to him, why something is or is not working, after he took off and just followed his guts. Then his eyes hang on her lips, as if he listens but doesn't. Often when she finishes explaining, he still stares at her lips.

And then there is this other level, where they connect. When he is going wild with learning topics again, there is that caring look in Severine. That little smile, that encouraging body language. Then when he explains why he did the exercise how he did, she just looks in his eyes. And smiles. He needs that smile. One time when she was not there, he was a mess, struggling, aimless. When she smiles at him, he scores and produces results.

When the lesson is over, they both pack their stuff, he waiting for her. She always lets him wait. Then she takes him by the hand and takes over. Her presence is undeniable. And he follows her willingly. With their 18 years, she is a woman. He still is a boy. When they make fun, he never catches her. But she always gets him, he has no chance but to surrender. And he does, sometimes resisting until she lures him in, mostly on the spot. And very few times, she lets him win.

Between lessons I have sometimes the time for a cigarette, or even for a walk. Last week I went for a walk through the town and saw them in front of a fast food restaurant. I had to smile when I saw her feeding him. A picture popped in my mind, a collar, a leash. And a term: female led relationship.

Maybe those two are at the beginning of a very special journey in a young society, that is open to new forms. We'll see. Maybe I can tell more about Severine and Fabio in some time. I would love to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment