Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Quest - David Lorefield

The wind blows cold from the north. Winter's chill can be felt in every fibre of my being. As i walk deeper into the wilderness, i have to steel myself against the assault of the weather and focus on my task.

"Go to the Northern Reaches in the depth of winter. When you reach the Blood River, you will cross it. You will then head west towards Mount Thorn and keep to the river path. After two days you will enter the foothills and must find the withered tree at the entrance to a narrow ravine. Enter the ravine and continue until you can walk no further. In a hole in the rock above your head you will find a silver chest. You will bring this chest to Me. You must return to Me with the chest before the rising of the full moon in 14 days time. When this is done, your questions will be answered, your doubts will be dispelled and you will be My boy once again."

These were the words spoken by my Mistress one week ago. My preparation was hasty, knowing that time was against me. i have only the most basic of provisions and i must find the chest before the morning, else i will fail to return on time and may not even be able to return at all.

Before me stands a withered tree in the lengthening shadow of Mount Thorn. The light takes on its evening shade as i turn into the ravine. Step by step, i proceed into the dim channel with a growing feeling of trepidation. As i walk along, i reflect on the events that brought me here.

Having fallen from my Mistresses favour, my sadness had been growing and my hopes had been fading. i was at the point of throwing myself at my Mistresses feet and begging for my freedom, either by the door or by the sword. Then from the depths of my despair, a word or two of hope fell upon me and shone a great light in my darkness. my Mistress has returned hope to my life and i must prove myself worthy.

"Mistress, what can i do to prove myself to You? What can i do to cause You to bless my life again?"

"Mmm, there is one thing - a quest. There is a treasure that I desire and no other boy has been able to bring it to Me. If you can do this, you will have proved your love and devotion to Me and I will bless you."

i light the lamp but the wind makes the flame dance and gutter. The light helps a little but casts many wavering shadows to confuse my sight. Into the darkness i slowly tread, still stumbling over rocks and stones out of my vision. Suddenly, the passage narrows and a black wall of rock looms before me. This is it! In front of my face i see the crevice carved from the rock; a square-cut chamber the size of a man’s head. i push my hands into the hole in the rock but feel nothing. i push my hand further inside but feel the cold damp rock at my finger tips. There is no chest; no treasure.

All hope is lost to me. i drop to the cold floor of the ravine in despair. The wind continues to bite and the night air burns my lungs with every breath. How can i ever hope to redeem myself? i look up to the sky, kneeling, and prepare to curse the Heavens for this cruel game, this dagger twist of Fate. i ready myself to cry out in protest at my plight. But then the wind drops, just for a moment, and in that brief heartbeat my thoughts turn once again to my Mistress, waiting at home for my return with Her treasure. i lower my gaze to the floor, ashamed of my selfish thoughts. This quest was not for me but for Her. The teardrops well in my eyes and i thrust my head back once more.

“Esteemed Goddess, in Whose dreams we all live, please forgive this stupid boy his selfish thoughts. i beg only one thing from You – the strength to return to my Mistress and to bear Her wrath for my failure. Please keep and protect me that i may fulfil this wish.”

As i uttered these words the wind dropped, and for a second i feel as if a warm breath has been blown through my body. The chill subsides and my shivering slows. Then i hear the gentle pad of footsteps behind me. i turn to see a vision standing before me - a vision of my Mistress. It must be the cold – i am failing in strength and seeing the waking dreams of the One i wish to see more than anything. But She takes a few steps closer and reaches out for my hand. i feel Her warm touch and She speaks to me in the darkness.

“You have done well, my sweet boy. Better than any before you. They lost hope and had thoughts only for themselves and curses for the Goddess in their self pity. But you have shown that You consider me above all else, even yourself. i have something for you, my boy. Something you came here to find.”

She holds out Her other hand and it in nestles a small silver chest. She releases my hand and slowly lifts the lid of the box. Inside i see the gleam of metal and look more closely. i cannot believe what i see and i clasp my arms around Her waist, hugging Her tightly. My collar!

“You have earned this, my darling boy. W/we are once again whole and complete. Take it and wear it with pride. You are Mine again and i am pleased. You have blessed Me as i have blessed you.”

As i look up into Her eyes, with my own full of tears, i know that the journey home will be easier.

0 comments:

Post a Comment