Sunday, July 6, 2014

Fireworks by Andy

Fireworks!

I confess I used to never care for them much. I seemed to be the only one around me who did not care. Couples sitting, side by side, staring up at the night sky as brightly colored explosions danced in the air.  Forced to sit there, watch in boredom. All I could think about was when it was over.

Then one night that all changed for me.

I had been invited by a new friend of mine to go to the park for the festival. I thought sure, why not, I don't get out much. The drive was fun, we talked and laughed, everything seemed fine.

So many people at the park, I was afraid of getting lost, but he kept by me close, and we never drifted apart. Games and rides, we went on them all, laughing, playing, we had a ball. Even my depression, which seemed to pop up at times, was was pummeled down by how happy I was.

As the sky got dark, I let out a sigh. The day was almost over, and I would be back home by myself. But as this sad thought ran through my mind, he grabbed my hand, smiled brightly and said: "Lets go watch the fireworks."  I was hesitant at first, not sure what to say. I didn't want to disappoint, so I went with him anyway. As we lay on a blanket, side by side, a warm feeling grew inside.

The first rocket exploded in the air. My eyes twitched and glimmered when I looked up. Why did it look so different than usual? More and more started to go off, the sky filling up with colors. It was then that I noted his hand on mine, gripping me tight. I turned to him, and he was already looking at me. "Thank you for bringing me with you," was all I could say.

We stared into each others eyes, but I guess you could say I was still looking at the fireworks.

From that day on, fireworks meant so much more to me. It symbolized the fireworks inside myself on that night I fell in love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment