Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Game Part One: Preparation by Anonymous

t started with a whisper. A rumor on the web. An urban legend of sorts. A game being beta tested. So hush hush that you have to be invited by somebody already in the game to participate. I wanted it. All the rumors said it was awesome. New technology to use all your senses in the game. The graphics were almost too real. Problem was nobody knew what it was about, where to sign up, or who might be one of the select few beta testers. The phone rings bringing me back from the speculation going on in my head. Gazing at the clock I realize who it must be and that I am LATE. I quickly close the computer grabbing my cell. "Hey am on my way. Sorry was doing some research," I quickly explain on my way out the door.

Hello, my name is Alex, I'm 32 and a student working on my computer programing degree...and this..well you could say this is my story.

--------------------------------
I was late...and she was giving me the lecture over the phone again. "Studies before games," Melissa was telling me over the phone as I got into my car.

"I know but I just can't help myself. There is a game out there that is supposed to be THE GAME. I can I not wait to just get my hands on it!" She laughed and I could almost hear her shaking her head through the phone. "Look I'll be there in a few minutes. Just wait for me ok?" I didn't wait for an answer I hung up the phone..If i knew then what I know now I might have not done that so often.

I backed out of the parking lot and made my way down the streets. Traffic wasn't that bad and only took me 15 minutes to get to the study group. Of course Melissa was waiting with her arms folded, tapping her foot impatiently.

"I know i know" I quickly said as I approached and received the usual collection of books into my arms and the punishment of a punch to my shoulder. "Ouch! Come on Mel, you ever going to get tired of that?" She pretended to think about it for a moment and then smiled with that sweet evil look

"Never. Now come on we are late!" I quickly followed her inside.  The time went by quickly but it was obvious to anyone that my mind was only half focused on the design of the project we were working on.  What kind of game was it....why so secretive?  I tried to guess if anyone here in the room might have been chosen for the beta testing. Why would they chose from here? Obviously not, there is no way. I dismissed that almost as fast as I had thought it in the first place. Perhaps I'll do some asking at the mall tomorrow.

My focus returned to the project and we finished just a little after the planned time. The sun had already went down by this time and we said our partings. "Need a lift home Mel?"  I asked to distract her from what I knew was going to be another lecture about focusing.

"No thanks, I'll walk. Though you can take me to the mall tomorrow when you go." It was more of a statement, and I was about to ask how she knew I was going, but decided to leave it at that

"Sure thing I'll see you in the morning then."


The next day I was dressed and at Melissa's door at 6am. No answer when I knocked, .so I called her phone. Ring ring ring. And then again. Ring ring ring. When she picked up with a sleepy hello I quickly asked "You ready!?" There was a click and dead air.

Another Ring ring ring. "Alex it's 6 in the morning. We don't have classes. Why are you up so early?" was my greeting this time.

"Got to get there before it gets crowded." I said in an overly sarcastic tone. She hung up again but I could hear her moving around inside. I knew it'd be some time...teeth, shower, dressing, so I slumped down and produced a book from my pack. Reading it till she emerged.

I wasn't wrong..it was 7:30 at this time. though part of me thinks that was just for spite. "Ready?" she asked with a satisfied look on her face.

I put the book into my pack and stood up quickly. "Ready when you are!" I replied quickly, and we left for the mall. Now this wasn't my first time at the mall with Mel so I knew her shopping came first. And if I left her side to do something, I'd hear about it later. I suppose I should say - no, we are not girlfriend/boyfriend...just good friends.

Today she didn't pull any punches as we went through the store. Girls department with dresses and skirts. Then blouses and pants. Finally to the panties and bra's. I always fidgeted a little during these outings. She seemed to not notice it, though I swear every so often I see a devious grin just out of the corner of my eye.

Shoes were next, a goth shop, and then any odd shop that caught her fancy along the way. Finally we made it to the video store. I of course was packed down with bags that must never hit the floor. I conversed with the clerk at the desk but he seemed to not know anymore then I about the mysterious game. Mel of course listened along while gazing at the games on the shelves. Finally I gave up as we were going to leave the mall. It was half the day now and no luck here.

"I have one more stop to make Alex. Mind coming with me?"

"Sure thing Mel but can I put these in the car first?" She nodded and gave a little chuckle

"Here I'll help," she replied, taking a bag (the smallest) from my hand and we went back out to the car, where I carefully placed everything into the back seat securely.

Walking back into the mall we made our way to an out of the way section that had been boarded up. "Wait here if you don't mind," Mel said as she left to knock on one of the doors.

It opened and a person peeked out. They spoke briefly and then the person went back inside as Mel came back over. "You owe me one Alex," she said as a lady came from the door carrying a clip board.

"I hear you want to be a beta tester Alex." I had to blink a moment and look from Mel to the new lady. I couldn't respond, and  I stood there stunned for a moment

"You're lucky, we were about to move after today.  And you must be his handler?" she said to Mel,  and they exchanged a sort of knowing smile.

"Well yes I'll be the one inviting him," she responded, before the lady turned her attention back to me.

"Fill this out and sign the non-discloser agreement and we'll get your starting package." I was so happy that I hardly looked at the agreement more then to find the places to sign. After all, it must be the standard  beta testing agreements.

They brought out a box after I had signed the paper. Mel had to sign as my handler, what ever that meant, before they finally handed the box over. When the lady wished us luck and left I could not say nothing but, "Thank you Mel, how? why?"

She just waved her hand and said again, "You owe me one Alex, and I'll collect. Believe me." As we went back to the car I glanced in the box to see the label that read "SRI: The D", Even that was cryptic. I'd find out soon enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment