Saturday, July 2, 2011

Haunted By Anonymous

Voices ask, “How are you?”
I smile and say okay.
I’m to proud to say I’m haunted
In my work and in my play.

Haunted by a ghost
Or haunted by a dream
Surrounded by my thoughts
Always analysing what they mean

Last week I decided “It’s time”
To move my life along
Stop seeing you in shadows
And hearing you in song

I went back to the place
Where first I knew you owned my heart
To try and make new memories
Or at least to try and start

But you were in the shadows,
I saw you in the lights,
You were on the streets and in my head,
You consumed me there all night

And though I try to move on
I guess I stepped too soon
When I let another touch me
On that warm night in June

For when I closed my eyes
You were everywhere
And voices screamed within my head
“You can’t, coz She’s not there”

And as the flogger hit my back
The rhythm, beat so slow
Tears sprang fast into my eyes
Threatened then to flow

For it happened in our corner
Where I knelt at your feet
With cuffs wrapped round my wrists
As you watched from the seat
I left the club so quickly
Trying to out run my thoughts
And reached out to my friends
For the comfort that I sought

Their words that night held me
Close in their loving care
Which has to be enough these days
Because I know you can’t be there

So when voices ask “How are you?”
I’ll smile and say “okay”
While the memories which haunt me
Come less and less each day

0 comments:

Post a Comment